Faith & Diversity
For a small community, the Plattsburgh-North Country area is amazingly diverse, thanks to:
- HAVING HOSTED PLATTSBURGH AIR FORCE BASE FOR MORE THAN 40 YEARS. The Air Force cycled thousands of Air Force personnel and their families from all over the country through Plattsburgh, keeping the community connected to all facets of America. And Plattsburgh's friendliness and quality of life made it a permanent home of choice for a great many, keeping the area diverse, open and very welcoming to newcomers.
- OUR STATUS AS A COLLEGE TOWN. Plattsburgh State University draws students, faculty and staff from all over the country and from all backgrounds, as well as from around the world. And as with former Air Force personnel who loved Plattsburgh and stayed, the area has also become the home of choice for thousands of Plattsburgh State alumni.
- OUR INTERNATIONAL CONNECTION AS MONTREAL'S U.S. SUBURB. Montreal is one of the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities in North America, offering access to almost every conceivable faith and ethnic community just one hour up the road.
- OUR OLYMPIC SPIRIT. The Plattsburgh-North Country area features LAKE PLACID, home of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympic Games, and still embodies the Olympic spirit as it routinely hosts international athletic competitions and visitors from around the world.
As a newcomer, you will discover the best of two worlds.
You and your family will find yourselves part of a safe community, where neighbors know and care about one another.
And as you quickly become a part of the general community, you will have access as well to virtually every religious denomination and to specialized groups and services for almost every ethnic background - if not right in Plattsburgh then next door in Montreal.
The following is just a sampling of the available places of worship and ethnic connections. If you are interested in other services or faiths, please contact us and we will be happy to help find connections as nearby as possible.
CHURCHES IN THE PLATTSBURGH-LAKE CHAMPLAIN REGION: immediately in and around Plattsburgh are a variety of churches and places of worship, including one or in many cases several churches of the following denominations:
- Assembly of God
- Catholic, Roman
- Christian & Missionary Alliance
- Church of Christ
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Jehovah's Witnesses
- Pilgrim Holiness
- Salvation Army
- Seventh Day Adventist
- United Church of Christ
- United Pentecostal
We would be happy to provide contact information.
JEWISH SYNAGOGUES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
The Plattsburgh region has a strong and active Jewish community, including the Temple Beth Israel which serves as the center of Jewish life in the North Country. For more information:
In addition, there is a large and diverse Jewish community in nearby Montreal. For more information:
MOSQUES AND ISLAMIC ORGANIZATIONS:
Nearby Montreal hosts a large Islamic community with a number of organizations and mosques. For more information:
- Montreal Mosques & Islamic Organizations and Services
- Islamic Center of Quebec
- Ahlillbait Mosque, Montreal
Nearby Montreal features a large and diverse Orthodox community, with a variety of Orthodox churches. A sampling of the available churches can be found at the following:
- St. Dionysios Greek Orthodox
- Ukrainians in Montreal
- St. Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- Coptic Orthodox Churches of Montreal
- Syrian Orthodox Church, Montreal
HINDU FAITH: There is a large Hindu community in nearby Montreal with Hindu temples and organizations. For more information:
SIKH FAITH: There is a large Sikh community in nearby Montreal, including a Sikh gurdwara and Sikh Community Center. For more information:
Gurdwara Sahib Quebec
Montreal, Quebec H3K 1X1
Telephone: (514) 624-5696
Sikh Community Center of Montreal
P.O. Box 104
Pierrefonds, Quebec H9H 4K8
Telephone: (514) 624-5696
Sikh Temple Association
1091 St. Joseph Boulevard
Lachine, Quebec H8N 2G1
Telephone: (514) 634-3301
BAHA'I FAITH: For more information on the Baha'i community in nearby Montreal:
BUDDHISM: There are many options for the practicing Buddhist:
- MONTREAL BUDDHIST MONASTERY & CULTURAL CENTRE
- Montreal Zen Association
- Montreal Zen Center
- tibetan buddhist temple
- Centre Communautaire et Culturel Bouddhiste Laotien
CHINESE COMMUNITY: Nearby Montreal has a large and vibrant Chinese community, including many specialty stores and services in Montreal's Chinatown. This includes Chinese Pentecostal and Catholic Churches, Buddhist Temples, a Chinese school, and the availability of specialists in various fields. Because of its French culture, Montreal also has a large Vietnamese and Cambodian community. For more information:
INDIAN COMMUNITY: The North Country has many residents from the subcontinent or of Indian descent, and there is a large Indian community in nearby Montreal. For more information:
NATIVE AMERICANS: The Plattsburgh-North Country region is the home of a large community of Native Americans, including the Mohawk nation of Akwesasne and the nearby Kahnawake Mohawk nation. For more information:
AFRICAN-AMERICANS AND CANADIANS: For a small community, Plattsburgh is amazingly diverse and open, thanks to its international location next door to Montreal; its more than four decades of past association with the U.S. Air Force which brought thousands of diverse Americans to Plattsburgh, many of whom have stayed as permanent residents; and its status as a college town. In addition to its own African-American citizens, Plattsburgh is adjacent to Montreal which has been home to a vibrant African-Canadian community for generations and which also hosts a diverse mix of people of color from all over the world - especially from French speaking Africa and the Caribbean. For more information:
OTHER ETHNIC CONNECTIONS: